- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 45 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
For the biscuits
- 4 egg whites
- 340 g caster sugar
- 340 g ground almonds
- 30 ml amaretto (almond liqueur)
- butter, for greasing
For the ice cream
- 500 ml full-fat milk
- 2 vanilla pods, split lengthways
- 6 egg yolks
- 120 g sugar
- 150 g mixed candied peel, chopped
- 3 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
For the lavender syrup
- 100 g sugar
- 10 tbsp water
- 4 lavender flowers, washed and blanched in boiling water for 1 minute
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.
2. In a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm. Gently stir in the sugar and ground almonds, then fold in the amaretto until you have a smooth paste.
3. Place some greaseproof paper on a baking sheet that has been lightly greased with butter. Using a teaspoon, place small heaps of the mixture on the baking sheet approximately 2 cm apart, as they will expand when cooking. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
4. To make the ice cream, bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan with the vanilla, then remove from the heat. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl, add half the milk to the egg yolks and whisk. Return this to the pan with the remaining milk and heat gently while stirring until it starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
5. Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and set it running for about 45 minutes. After about 30 minutes, add the chopped mixed peel and the amaretto liqueur.
6. For the lavender syrup, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
7. To serve, take a large martini glass and pour some of the syrup around the edge of the glass, letting it flow down on the inside of the glass. Place 2 scoops of the ice cream in the glass. Dust the biscuits with icing sugar and push into the ice cream.
Rate This Recipe