- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 6 hours chilling
- Effort: easy
- 175 ml strong black or espresso coffee, cooled
- 125 ml amarula cream liqueur
- 1 large egg, separated
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 250 g mascarpone
- 1 Peppermint Crisp chocolate bar, crumbled
Tips and Suggestions
You will need a square shallow glass dish about 20x20cm or two smaller dishes.
You will find Peppermint Crisp at specialist South African shops, but you could alternatively use peppermint Aero or Quality Street Matchmakers
1. Mix the cold coffee and 87.5ml of the Amarula Cream together in a wide, shallow dish or bowl.
2. One by one, dip both sides of each Savoiardi biscuit into the coffee mix and arrange them to completely cover the bottom of your glass dish. The biscuits need to be moistened all over, but do not let them get soggy so that they start to bend and break.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the egg yolk and caster sugar for about three minutes until the mixture is thick and pale yellow.
4. Add the mascarpone and the remaining Amarula Cream and beat the mixture until it is smooth.
5. In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg white until soft peaks form, then fold it quickly but gently into the mascarpone mixture, trying not to lose much volume.
6. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the layer of biscuits until they are completely covered, and then repeat the process above, using the rest of the biscuits to create a second biscuit layer on top of the mascarpone layer.
7. Cover the second biscuit layer with the remainder of the mascarpone.
8. Refrigerate for 6 hours or until firm - the longer you can leave it, the more integrated the flavours will be.
9. Just before serving, crumble a Peppermint Crisp chocolate bar over the top, cut into squares and serve on individual plates.
Fancy causing a stir with some perfect puddings? Check out our impressive dessert ideas for inspiration
Rate This Recipe