- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 g gram flour
- 250 ml water
- a pinch of turmeric
- a pinch of chilli powder
- 15 g finely chopped coriander
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- oil, for deep-frying
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, de-seeded and chopped into 5cm squares
- 1 small aubergine
- 1 courgette, sliced into 1cm thick rings
- chutney, to serve
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the gram flour and water, making a smooth thin batter.
2. Beat in the turmeric, chilli, chopped coriander, baking powder and salt.
3. Heat the oil in a karahi or wok until the oil is so hot that a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden within 1 minute.
4. Dip the sliced vegetables into the batter, slice by slice, and deep-fry them in batches, removing with a slotted spoon once they become golden brown.
5. Drain the bhaji on kitchen paper and serve at once with the chutney.
Rate This Recipe