- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 250 g plain flour
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 100 g icing sugar
- 4 drops vanilla extract
For the custard
- 480 ml whipping cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 70 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- grated nutmeg
Tips and Suggestions
Cook's note: you can decorate the tart with a little icing if desired.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Place the flour and butter in a food processor and blend top a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Beat the eggs, icing sugar and vanilla extract together in a bowl and add this into the food processor.
4. Pulse until the ingredients have combined together to form a ball. Do not over work. Remove from the food processor bowl and wrap in cling film. Leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour, then remove.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out to 5mm thick and use it to line a greased 25cm tart ring. Cover with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake 'blind' for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, discard the baking beans and turn down the heat to 160C/gas 2.
6. In a saucepan, bring the whipping cream to the boil with the split vanilla pod. Whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar before pouring the cream onto them, stirring continually. Pass through a sieve and add a small amount of grated nutmeg.
7. Pour the mix into the tart shell and bake on the middle shelf of the over for 30 - 40 minutes or until the custard appears set but not too firm.
8. Turn the tart out onto a plate and serve.
Rate This Recipe