- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the baked fennel chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 4 baby fennel, halved lengthways
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 75 ml madeira
- 500 ml chicken stock
For the sauce
- 100 g fresh or frozen peas
- 50 g butter
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- few sprigs thyme
- 100 g fresh morel mushrooms, (or 25g dried morels soaked in hot water for 15 minutes)
- 75 ml madeira
- pea shoots, to garnish (optional)
1. For the baked fennel chicken: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof frying pan or casserole over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and black pepper and fry in the hot pan for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden-brown.
3. Turn the chicken so that it's skin side-up and add the baby fennel, onion, garlic and fennel seeds to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are softened and translucent then pour in the madeira and simmer for 5 minutes, or until reduced in volume by half.
4. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer then transfer to the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
5. For the sauce: while the chicken is cooking, bring a saucepan of water to the boil and boil the peas for 2 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
6. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add the shallots and fry gently with the bay leaves and thyme for 5 minutes, or until the shallots are softened and translucent.
7. Stir in the morels and madeira and simmer for 5 minutes until the morels are softened and the sauce has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Stir in the peas and keep warm.
8. To finish the chicken, preheat the grill to high. Place the pan under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes, until the chicken skin is crisp.
9. Spoon over the morel sauce, garnish with pea shoots and serve.
Rate This Recipe