- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 10 mins
- Effort: easy
- 225 g shortcrust pastry
- 425 ml single cream
- grated zest of 1 oranges
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 25 g brown sugar
- 2 tsp orange flower water
- 1 tbsp brandy
- freshly grated nutmeg
- single or double cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
2. Roll out the shortcrust pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose-based flan tin. Prick the base thoroughly with a fork and bake blind for 10-15 minutes. Remove the blind-baked pastry case and reduce the oven temperature to 170ºC/gas 3.
3. Meanwhile, place the cream and orange zest in a saucepan. Heat the cream to scalding point and set aside to infuse for 10 minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl beat together the eggs and egg yolks and soft brown sugar until well-mixed. Mix in the orange flower water and brandy.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the infused warm milk and mix well.
6. Strain the egg and milk mixture into the pastry case and sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg.
7. Bake the custard tart for 30-40 minutes until the filling has set.
8. Serve warm from the oven with cream.
Rate This Recipe