- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: hard
For the ice cream
- 2 bananas, cut into 2cm slices
- 100 ml double cream
- 100 ml milk
For the custard
- 100 ml double cream
- 150 ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 25 g caster sugar
For the praline
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g almonds
For the crumble
- 25 g butter
- 25 g sugar
- 100 g flour
- 50 g almonds
For the banana garnish
- 1 medium banana
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 small knob butter
- 50 ml double cream
For the marshmallow
- 4 egg whites, left over from the yolks used in the custard
- 75 g caster sugar
- 2 leaves gelatine
Please note: You will need four metal ice cream moulds, a food processor, an electric mixer and a blowtorch for this recipe.
1. Heat the oven to 180°C. Place the gelatine leaves in a bowl of water and leave to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Put the slices of a banana on a tray lined with a baking sheet and put the slices in the freezer. Depending on the temperature, the slices will take between 30 minutes and up to more than hour to freeze so it is advisable to do this in advance.
3. For the custard: Make the custard before removing the banana from the freezer to save time. Add half of the milk and the cream to a saucepan on a high heat until it boils.
4. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix well.
5. Once the milk has boiled, add a little bit of the milk to the egg mixture and stir then pour it back into the pan with the rest of the milk. Keep the pan hot so the custard thickens. Its at the right temperature when the bubbles start to disappear. Dont allow to boil or the mix will split.
6. Once the bubbles are disappearing nicely, pour the mixture through a sieve and allow the custard to cool.
7. For the praline: Warm the sugar in a saucepan until it caramelises into a thick, brown colour.
8. Add the almonds to the sugar and stir. Pour onto a non-stick mat and spread it out with the back of a spoon, taking care as the mixture will be boiling hot. Allow to cool.
9. Once it has cooled, break it up and put it in a food processor and blend to a fine crumb.
10. For the almond crumble: Add the almonds, butter, flour and sugar together in a mixing bowl and mix together using the tips of your fingers.
11. Once it looks like breadcrumbs, place the crumble straight on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes then allow to cool. Leave the oven on to use later.
12. Banana garnish: Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of the sugar. It will start to caramelise immediately.
13. Add the banana and roll the four slices around in the pan to cook evenly. Add the other teaspoon of sugar so the bananas have a coating of caramelised sugar.
14. Throw in the knob of butter and allow to melt for a few seconds then add the cream. Take it off the heat and leave to cool.
15. For the ice cream: Take the frozen banana slices out of the freezer and put straight into a food processor with the double cream.
16. Add two tablespoons of the cooled custard, put the lid on the blender, hold it and turn it on. Add a little bit of milk until it turns into ice cream.
17. Take out the four ice cream moulds and spoon in the ice cream and compress so the moulds are completely full. Smooth off the top with a knife. Put the moulds in the freezer to set.
18. For the marshmallow: Place the sugar in a saucepan and heat until it has softened but not browned.
19. Add the gelatine and a tiny bit of water and boil.
20. In an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl for 2-3 minutes.
21. While it is still mixing, carefully but quickly pour the sugar and gelatine into the bowl and allow to mix for around 5 minutes until it has rubbery peaks like marshmallow. Place the mixture in a piping bag.
22. For the biscuits: On a piece of card, cut out a rectangular stencil the size of a small ruler, around 12.5 centimetres long and 4cm wide.
23. Place the stencil on a baking tray lined with baking paper and pour over the praline mixture. Do this four times to make four biscuits. Remove the stencil and bake in a 180°C oven for 4 minutes.
24. Take the tray out of the oven and put the biscuit aside to cool. Once it reaches a consistency in which it can be sculpted, take a rolling pin and bend the strips around the pin to create circular biscuits. Rest the rolling pin so the praline is raised in the air so there is no pressure on the biscuits.
25. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and heat up the mould with a blow torch until the block of ice cream comes out.
26. Take the piping bag of marshmallow and pipe three rows of dots on top of the ice cream.
27. Using the blowtorch again, very quickly move back and forth across the top of the marshmallow so the top of the piped dots brown.
28. To serve: On each of the four plates, place some of the almond crumble in the middle then, with a spatula, lift the banana ice cream and place on top of the crumble.
29. Take a piece of the banana garnish and carefully place it inside the circle of praline.
30. Drizzle some of the custard around the edge of the dessert and serve.
Rate This Recipe