- Serves: makes 12 muffins
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the muffins
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 150 g caster sugar
- 75 g fine bran
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150 ml milk
For the icing
- 1/2 orange, juice only
- 6 heaped tbsp icing sugar
1. For the muffins: preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Tip the flour, sugar and oat bran into a large mixing bowl and form a well in the centre.
3. In another bowl, use a fork or potato masher to mash the bananas, then mix in the eggs, oil and milk.
4. Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, stir everything together for a few seconds until only just combined but still quite lumpy. The lumps will disappear during baking. This is the secret to lovely, light muffins - dont be tempted to keep mixing or they will become heavy.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Let the muffins cool for 2 minutes in the tin, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
7. For the icing: add enough orange juice to the icing sugar to make a smooth paste.
8. Drizzle the orange icing over the muffins and leave to set before serving.
Rate This Recipe