- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 kg shin of beef or chuck steak, cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 g thick cutstreaky bacon, diced (lardons)
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into chunky batons
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 330 ml ale
- 1 litres beef stock
- 1 carton trotter gear - nuggets of pig's trotters
- 1 bay leaf
- few sprigs thyme
- mashed potatoes, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Season the beef with salt and freshly ground black pepper and dust with the flour.
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy based casserole. Add the beef, a little at a time and brown.
4. When all browned, transfer to a plate and add in the bacon. Cook for a few minutes before adding the onion, carrot and garlic. Cook the vegetables until softened, stir in the tomato purée and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
5. Gradually pour in the ale, beef stock and trotter gear. Bring to the boil and return the beef to the pan, together with the herbs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Transfer to the oven and cook for about 2-3 hours until the beef is tender and the sauce is thickened. Serve with mashed potato.
Rate This Recipe