- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 340 g fillet beef steaks, trimmed
- 400 ml groundnut oil, for frying
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 fresh red chillies, finely chopped, seeds and stalks discarded
- 2-4 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 spring onions, green parts only, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp potato flour
- 1 tbsp water
1. For the marinade: simply mix together the shaoxing wine, salt, soy sauces, potato flour and water in a bowl.
2. Cut the beef across the grain into thin slices, add the marinade and mix well. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes to half an hour.
3. Heat the groundnut oil in a wok to about 140C. Add the beef and stir gently for 1 - 2 minutes. As soon as the pieces have separated, remove them from the oil. Drain well and set aside.
4. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the oil. Over a high flame, add the ginger, garlic, fresh chillies, chilli flakes and cumin. Stir-fry briefly until fragrant, return the beef to the wok and stir well. Season with salt to taste.
5. When all the ingredients are sizzling, add the spring onions and toss briefly. Remove from the heat, stir in the sesame oil and serve.
Rate This Recipe