- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the beetroot
- 1 small red beetroot
- 1 small golden beetroot
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp marjoram leaves
- 1 pinches sea salt
- ½ oranges, segmented
For the brill
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 splashes extra virgin olive oil
- 175-200 g brill fillet
Tips and Suggestions
Don't worry if your fishmonger has no brill halibut and turbot are good alternatives for this recipe.
1. For the beetroot: boil the beetroot in a pan of boiling water for 20 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. When cool enough to handle, peel the beetroot and cut into 1cm cubes. Transfer to a non-metallic bowl and mix in the olive oil, vinegar, marjoram and salt. Set aside to marinate for a few minutes, or overnight.
3. For the brill: combine all the flavouring ingredients and rub the mixture all over the fish.
4. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Lay the fish in the pan skin-side down and cook for 5 minutes, or until the skin is crisp. Turn the fish over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and just cooked through.
5. Just before serving, stir the orange segments through the marinated beetroot and spoon alongside the fish.
Rate This Recipe