- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2-3 hrs or overnight marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 leg of lamb, 2.7kg in weight, boned and butterflied
For the marinade:
- 600 ml water
- 150 ml olive oil
- 6 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 8 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves, finely chopped
1. Place the lamb in a non-aluminium container. Combine all the marinade ingredients and rub over the lamb.
2. Cover and refrigerate overnight to marinate or allow to stand for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature.
3. Bring the lamb to room temperature, if refrigerated. Remove the lamb from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and sprinkle the lamb with salt.
4. Heat a barbecue to cooking point or heat a griddle until very hot.
5. Cook the lamb on the barbecue or griddle for 12-15 minutes on each side, basting often with reserved marinade. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe