- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 g calves' liver, sliced and lightly coated in flour
- 800 ml water
- 100 g polenta
- 25 g butter
- parmesan, grated
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- a small bunch of thyme
- black pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Tips and Suggestions
Marinade the livers in milk beforehand to make them nice and soft.
1. Bring the water to the boil in a large, thick-based saucepan. Add salt and the polenta. Cook stirring until the polenta mixture thickens. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring now and then, until the grains are soft.
2. Mix in the butter and grated parmesan, remove from direct heat and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
4. Toss together the tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic and thyme in a roasting tray. Roast for 20 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
5. Pass the tomatoes through a mouli. Transfer the tomato juices to a saucepan and boil briskly until reduced and thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Heat the remaining olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Fry the red onion gently until softened, around 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf and fry for a further 5 minutes.
7. Add the sliced liver and fry until browned on both sides. Add the tomato sauce and balsamic vinegar.
8. Serve the liver with the polenta.
Rate This Recipe