- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, halved
- 8-10 leaves sage
- 1 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked
- 1 pinches dried red chilli flakes
- 8 chicken drumsticks, or thighs
- 150 g cured Tuscan olives
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
Tips and Suggestions
Its important to simmer the chicken gently, not allowing the sauce to reduce too quickly. If you find its very thick once done, simply loosen the sauce with some extra hot water.
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan. Add the garlic, sage and rosemary and gently heat in the oil for 30 seconds. Add the chilli flakes and continue frying for another 30 seconds.
2. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Increase the heat under the frying pan to medium, add the chicken and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
3. Add the olives and white wine, bring to the boil and simmer until the volume of liquid has reduced by three-quarters.
4. Add the tomato purée, then the chopped tomatoes and 300ml hot water. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring well, and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has lightly thickened.
5. Taste the sauce and season as necessary. Serve with soft polenta, boiled rice or creamy mashed potatoes.
Rate This Recipe