- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 55 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chilli
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 650 g minced beef
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 250 g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 red chillies
- 350 ml red wine, (2 glasses)
- A splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube made into 250ml stock
- 1 x 410 g red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 white flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 400 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- grated cheddar cheese
- soured cream
- handful spring onions, sliced lengthways
- iceberg lettuce, shredded
- sweet chilli sauce
1. Heat the oil in large heavy based saucepan and fry the onions and garlic until softened and slightly browned.
2. Add mince and start to seal, then stir in all the ground spices.
3. Add the chopped mushrooms and red chillies, then pour in the red wine and Worcestershire sauce and let it simmer until it begins to reduce in size.
4. Add the sliced tomatoes, beef stock and kidney beans and cook gently (uncovered) for about 2 hours.
5. Serve the chilli con carne alongside warmed tortillas and small bowls of the avocado salad, cheese, sour cream, onions, lettuce and sweet chilli sauce.
Rate This Recipe