- Serves: makes 500ml
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled
- 6-8 long red chillies, roughly chopped
- 200 g ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 double kaffir lime leaves, deveined (optional)
- 525 g caster sugar
- 4 limes, finely grated zest only
- 125 ml rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
1. Sterilise a 500ml screw-top jar and its metal lid.
2. Purée the garlic, chillies, ginger and kaffir lime leaves (if using) to a coarse paste. Place in a saucepan with the sugar, lime zest, rice vinegar, fish sauce, soy sauce and 125ml of water.
3. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then boil for about 10 minutes or until reduced by a third. It will bubble up like jam.
4. Spoon the hot chilli jam into the warm sterilised jar until it is filled to within 3mm of the top. Seal with the screw cap. Once opened, store the chilli jam in the fridge, where it will keep for months.
Rate This Recipe