- Serves: makes 16-20
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the meringues
- 3 egg whites
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 50 g medium dark chocolate, (around 50 per cent cocoa solids), grated or finely chopped
For the cream
- 100 g dark chocolate, (around 70 per cent cocoa solids)
- 50 ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. For the chocolate meringues: whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Then, whisking continuously, gradually add in the caster sugar until the mixture reaches stiff peaks and is thick and glossy.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and grated chocolate, then gently fold into the meringue. Spoon tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking trays and transfer to the oven immediately. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the meringues lift easily off the paper. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
4. For the chocolate cream: place the chocolate and cream into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the water doesnt touch the bottom of the bowl) and leave until the chocolate has melted. Stir to combine, then pour into another bowl and set aside to cool and thicken.
5. When the meringues and chocolate cream are cooled, sandwich the meringues with a tablespoonful of the chocolate cream and serve.
Rate This Recipe