- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: medium
- oil, for greasing
- 175 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 6 eggs, separated
- 175 g caster sugar
- sifted icing sugar, for dusting
For the filling:
- 85 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 300 ml double cream, whipped
- raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or other seasonal soft fruits, (optional)
1. Pre heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Lightly grease a 23x33cm Swiss roll tin, and line with baking parchment.
3. Put the 175g of chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until melted. Leave to cool a little.
4. Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk for about 5 minutes until pale and creamy. Add the cooled melted chocolate and stir to blend evenly.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Using a large metal spoon, carefully fold into the chocolate mixture.
6. Turn the chocolate mixture into the tin, tilting the tin so that the mixture spreads evenly into the corners. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
7. Remove from the oven. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
8. Place a clean damp tea towel over the cake with a board on top. Invert, remove the tin and peel away the baking parchment.
9. Roll up the cake with the damp tea towel to keep the sponge moist. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, make the filling. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted. Leave to cool a little.
11. Quickly fold into the whipped cream, taking care the chocolate doesn't split but sets to form a mousse.
12. Unroll the cooled cake dont worry if it splits as the mousse will stick it together again.
13. Leaving a 2cm margin all round, spread the chocolate mousse evenly over the cake.
14. Sprinkle the fruit, if using, evenly over the filling.
15. Carefully roll up the cake again.
16. Dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.
Rate This Recipe