- Serves: makes 24 bisuits
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus chilling and decorating time
- Effort: hard
- 350 g plain flour
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 125 g salted butter
- 125 g golden syrup
- 1 large egg
- royal icing, to decorate
Tips and Suggestions
Learn how to create a wonderful range of iced biscuits with The Biscuiteers' guide on icing techniques
To make a basic royal icing, add 180ml water to a bowl followed by 1kg icing sugar and 30g egg white powder. Whisk with an electric blender or whisk by hand until the icing is thick and smooth and bright white in colour. You can add food colouring or gel to colour the icing.
When you have finished decorating your biscuits, place them in a very low heat oven for 30 minutes to set. This way the biscuit doesn't go soggy from the icing.
1. Sift the flours together into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and mix well. Add the butter. Using just the tips of your fingers, rub together the ingredients until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. When all the butter is evenly mixed in, make a well in the centre and add the syrup and the egg. Mix well, drawing in any of the flour left at the sides of the bowl and stop as soon as a ball has formed.
3. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 4. Place the dough onto a clean worktop. Divide into two and squash the dough into two even-sized flat discs. Cover and chill until ready to use, or roll out immediately.
4. To roll the dough, place it on a piece of parchment paper. Begin by gently squashing the dough down with the rolling pin or your hands, cover with a second sheet of parchment and then use the rolling pin to roll properly. The paper may crinkle from time to time, just peel it off and smooth it down gently and start rolling again.
5. Gently roll the dough until it is 5mm thick all over. Transfer the whole sheet of rolled dough still sandwiched between the sheets of parchment to a baking tray and place in the fridge to chill for at least 20-30 minutes before cutting in to shapes.
6. Evenly space the shapes on a baking tray and place in the oven to cook for 14-18 minutes or until the biscuits just begin to turn a golden colour. When cooked, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
7. When biscuits are cool you can start icing, follow the patterns in the picture with a basic royal icing or be inventive and create your own decorations
Rate This Recipe