- Serves: a 2.25kg crown will serve 5-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes plus resting time
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 crown turkey
- at least 2 litres chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1-2 sprigs tarragon
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, halved (optional)
- 1 carrot, cut into large chunks (optional)
- 1 leek, cut into large chunks (optional)
- 2 sticks celery, cut into chunks (optional)
- oil, for frying
Tips and Suggestions
You can leave the turkey crown to cool in the poaching liquid if not required immediately, in which case it will take longer to finish in the roasting tin because it will need to reheat thoroughly.
1. Weigh the turkey crown to calculate the cooking time. You will need to poach it for 15 minutes per 450g: a medium turkey crown weighing 2.25kg (to serve 5-8 people) will therefore take 1 hour 15 minutes to poach.
2. Put the stock, bouquet garni, thyme, tarragon and butter in a pot and add the optional vegetables, if using.
3. Bring the pot to poaching temperature, so that the water moves but bubbles do not break the surface. Carefully place the turkey crown in the pot and cook for the calculated time.
4. Remove the crown from the poaching pan and allow rest. Strain the stock and reserve it to use in other dishes.
5. Heat some oil and butter in a roasting tin or large frying pan on the hob. Place the turkey crown skin-side down in the pan and fry, turning as necessary until all sides are browned and the turkey is hot and cooked through, about 15-30 minutes.
Rate This Recipe