- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 280 g cornmeal, fine polenta or fine semolina
- 85 g plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 150 ml milk
- 425 ml buttermilk or natural yogurt
- 115 g jarred chillies, drained and chopped
- 1 small can sweetcorn
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Generously butter a shallow tin (around 25cm long) or a small roasting tin.
2. In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour and bicarbonate of soda and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. In a jug combine the egg, milk and yogurt, chillies and sweetcorn.
4. Pour the contents of the jug into the bowl of dry ingredients and lightly combine, taking care not to over-mix as this will make the corn bread tough.
5. Pour the mixture into the buttered tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden. Serve warm from the oven, cut into squares.
Rate This Recipe