- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus 1 hr for soaking
- Effort: easy
- 8 thinly cut beef steaks, (or substitute chicken, turkey, veal or pork escalopes)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- black pepper
- 10 tbsp fine dry breadcrumbs
- 8 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 4 large, ripe sweet tomatoes
- a handful of leaves basil
1. Using a meat hammer, flatten the steaks out until they are thin and even. Lay them in the beaten egg to soak for about 1 hour.
2. Drain each piece of meat, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and coat carefully in the breadcrumbs.
3. Heat 5 tablespoons of the oil in a large wide frying pan until sizzling hot, then quickly fry on both sides for about 4 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
4. Remove, drain and lay on kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
5. Chop the tomatoes coarsely and place them in a sieve over a bowl, to drain for about 15 minutes. Add the remaining olive oil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter with torn basil leaves, spoon over the warm cotolette and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe