- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the meat
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 675 g minced beef or lamb
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 3-4 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 drops tabasco
- 175 ml dry white or red wine
- 300 ml chicken or beef stock
- black pepper
For the topping
- 1.4 kg potatoes
- 50 ml milk
- 2 tbsp mature cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp finely grated parmesan
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, celery and carrot, stirring them over a brisk heat but not allowing them to brown.
3. After 5 minutes or so add the garlic, reduce the heat and soften everything together.
4. Increase the heat again and add the mince, stirring until browned.
5. Stir in the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, wine and stock, season and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Boil the potatoes until soft and mash them with the milk until smooth and creamy.
7. Spoon the meat mixture into a gratin dish and cover with a thick, even layer of mashed potato.
8. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 45-55 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Rate This Recipe