- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hours marinating
- Effort: medium
- 1 whole duck
For the 1st marinade:
- 6 spring onions
- 6 tbsp shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
For the 2nd marinade:
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 16 cloves
- 4 star anise
- 2 bulbs fennel, sliced
1. Crush the spring onions and add the remaining ingredients of the first marinade.
2. Put the spring onions inside the duck only and rub the marinade all over the outside of the duck and leave it for two hours.
3. Remove the spring onions and replace with two slices of ginger.
4. Spread the spring onions, the remaining two slices of ginger and the other ingredients of the second marinade on and around the duck.
5. Steam the duck for an hour, cool it and drain it.
6. Heat almost enough oil to cover the duck in a deep frying pan.
7. Once the oil is hot, remove the pan from the heat and place the duck gently in it.
8. Spoon the oil over the duck and fry until the duck is browned all over, returning it to the heat only if the oil cools down too much.
9. Serve with hoisin sauce.
Rate This Recipe