- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry:
- 250 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 500 g plain flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- 5 eggs, separated
- grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 750 g ricotta cheese
- 50 g fresh mint leaves
- 50 g butter
- 250 g sugar
1. To make the pastry, place the flour in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and mix, using a knife, until the butter is finely chopped. Add the sugar, egg yolks and water and mix, using a wooden spoon, until the mixture forms a dough.
2. Briefly knead the dough on a floured surface. Roll into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
4. To make the filling, place the egg yolks, lemon juice, butter, sugar and mint leaves in a food processor or blender. Blend until the mixture takes on a creamy consistency.
5. Add the ricotta and blend again for about 5 minutes.
6. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold together the ricotta mixture and the whisked egg whites, then fold in the lemon zest.
7. Roll out the chilled pastry and use three-quarters of it to line a loose-based flan tin.
8. Pour the lemon and mint mixture into the flan case. Finely roll out the remaining pastry and cut it into 1cm thick strips. Use the pastry strips to form a lattice pattern over the filling.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until the filling has set and the pastry is golden. Remove, cool on a wire rack and serve.
Rate This Recipe