- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg goat meat, or mutton meat
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, (whole)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- water, to cover
- 2 large carrots, cut into cubes
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes
- rice and peas, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Eddie Campbells version of rice and peas is the perfect accompaniment to this dish.
1. Wash the meat under cold running water and cut into small chunks. Heat the vegetable oil in a large lidded frying pan, seal the meat until browned all over, add the onions and fry until golden-brown.
2. Add the thyme, garlic, spring onions, scotch bonnet pepper, curry powder, tomato ketchup, ginger, salt, freshly ground black pepper and water to cover, and put the lid on.
3. Simmer until nearly tender (about 1 hour - 1 hour 30 minutes).
4. Add carrots and potato to the pan and simmer for a further 10 minutes, or until the meat, carrots and potato are all tender. Serve with Jamaican rice and peas.
Rate This Recipe