- Serves: makes 12
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sponge
- 100 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 145 g golden caster sugar
- 40 g butter, at room temperature
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 120 ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1tsp hot water
- 100 g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, cut into chunks
For the frosting
- 225 g butter
- 350 g icing sugar, sifted
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- Assorted chocolate bars, cut into small pieces (such as Mars bars, twix, flake, maltesers, chocolate buttons)
Tips and Suggestions
Leftover frosting? Try sandwiching two digestive biscuits together with a dollop for a quick pudding.
Don't worry if your cupcake comes out of the oven looking a little flat - it's supposed to happen! A flat sponge is ideal when it comes to frosting the cupcake.
1. For the sponge: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole tin with cupcake paper cases. Tip the flour, sugar, butter and cocoa powder into a food processor and blitz on a slow speed for one minute, until you achieve a sandy consistency.
2. Gradually pour in half of the milk and beat until just incorporated. Dont worry if it looks a little messy at this stage it will come together! In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining milk together with the egg, vanilla essence and coffee. Pour into the batter and beat for a couple of minutes until smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl to catch any unmixed ingredients as you go. Fold through the chocolate chunks with a spoon.
3. Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases, filling each one up two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when prodded with a finger. Leave to cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
4. For the frosting: Tip the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder into a food processor and beat until well combined. Add the milk and then beat again for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.
5. When the sponges have cooled completely, carefully spoon a third of the frosting into a piping bag and use it to decorate the first four cupcakes. Repeat until you have finished them all. Alternatively, just use a palette knife to spread about 2 tbsp of frosting onto each cupcake.
6. Decorate as you like with different chocolate bar pieces.
Rate This Recipe