- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 heads garlic
- 4 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
- 8 sprigs of thyme, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 450 ml olive oil
- 2 lemons, sliced into wedges
- sea salt
- 1 chicken, corn-fed
- boiled new potatoes
- pickled turnips, in red wine vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. Break up the garlic bulbs into cloves. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add in the garlic cloves and blanch them for four minutes. Strain the garlic, cool and peel.
3. Mix together the blanched garlic cloves, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and olive oil (reserving 30ml).
4. Brush the lemon wedges with the reserved olive oil. Heat a griddle pan until hot and grill the lemon wedges on the griddle.
5. Add the griddled lemon wedges to the garlic mixture. Season with sea salt, mixing well.
6. Stuff the chicken with the garlic and lemon mixture, reserving the olive oil.
7. Place the chicken in a roasting tray and pour the olive oil over the chicken.
8. Roast the chicken for 40 minutes, basting now and then.
9. Pull out the stuffing from the chicken on to the roasting tray. Place the chicken on top of the stuffing and baste with the juices.
10. Return the chicken to the oven to roast for a further 20 minutes until cooked through. Test whether the chicken is cooked through by piercing a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh. If the juices run clear the chicken is cooked through.
11. Serve the chicken with boiled new potatoes and turnip in red wine vinegar.
Rate This Recipe