- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 15 g day-lily bulbs
- 15 g lotus seeds
- 15 g raw peanuts, in their pink skins
- 15 g walnuts
- 10 g mung beans
- 10 g azuki beans
- 10 g Chinese wolfberries, (goji berries)
- 20 g dried Chinese dates, (jujubes)
- 50 g black glutinous rice
- 50 g white glutinous rice
- 50 g white long-grain rice
- 3 litres water
- sugar or honey, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Other possible additions are 10g raw barley and 10g dried foxnuts, which are occasionally found in Chinese grocers
1. Soak the lotus seeds and day-lily bulbs in water overnight.
2. Rinse all the ingredients except for the wolfberries (reserve these to add later) and place them in a large pan, along with the drained lotus seeds, day-lily bulbs and the water.
3. Bring to the boil, skim off any scum, then simmer on a very gentle heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and adding more water if necessary. You should end up with a loose, soupy porridge.
4. Shortly before the porridge is ready, add the wolfberries and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
5. Serve warm, with sugar or honey to taste.
Rate This Recipe