- Serves: Makes 2.5kg jam
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 2 lemons
- 500 ml water
- 2 vanilla pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2.5 cm ginger, peeled
- 1.5 kg sugar
- 1.5 kg figs
1. Slice the lemons in half and squeeze out the juice from each half.
2. Place the squeezed lemon halves together with the lemon juice in a large preserving pan.
3. Add the water, vanilla pods, cinnamon sticks, ginger and sugar.
4. Add the figs and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for at least an hour, stirring from time to time, until the mixture has thickened and become translucent.
6. Remove the lemon halves, vanilla pods, cinnamon sticks and ginger.
7. Spoon the hot jam into warm, clean jars, cover with wax discs, allow to cool, then cover with cellophane or jam jar lids.
Rate This Recipe