- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30 mins soaking
- Effort: easy
- 1 chicken, about 2kg, cut into portions
- 225 ml buttermilk
- 750 ml peanut oil
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ¾ tsp garlic salt
- 150 g flour
- 225 ml chicken stock, r water
- 225 ml cream
1. Place the chicken portions in a large bowl, add in the buttermilk and set aside to soak for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
2. Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat until hot.
3. In a large bag, combine the paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic salt and flour, shaking well.
4. Remove the chicken portions from the buttermilk, shaking off any excess. Place the chicken portions in the bag of seasoned flour and coat evenly.
5. Fry the coated chicken in batches, shaking off any excess flour, until golden brown on all sides and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
6. Once all the chicken has been fried, drain off the oil from the pan but leave the brown crust in the pan.
7. Add in the stock and deglaze the pan over high heat, scraping the pan with a spatula.
8. Cook briskly until reduced by half, then stir in the cream.
9. Cook gently, stirring often, reducing until thickened.
10. Whisk in a tablespoon of the seasoned flour to flavour and thicken it.
Rate This Recipe