- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the prawns
- 60 g cornflour
- 60 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chinese five spice
- 190 ml soda water, ice-cold
- 1 litres sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 500 g large prawns, peeled
For the salad
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 50 g watercress
- 1 apple
- 30 g walnuts
- 30 g bean sprouts
- 4 tbsp extra virgin Italian olive oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1. Sieve the cornflour and flour into a bowl and mix in the peppercorns, salt and 5 spice powder.
2. Stir in the soda water - the batter should be thin, almost broth-like. If it seems too thick, add more soda water.
3. Heat the sunflower oil in a wok or deep fat fryer. Dip the prawns into the batter and fry for about1 minute, until crisp and golden. Transfer to a baking tray lined with absorbent paper and keep warm.
4. Mix together the chilli, watercress, apple, walnuts and bean sprouts in a large bowl and season with a little salt.
5. Stir in the extra virgin olive oil and soy sauce. Mix well and divide equally between 4 plates.
6. Place a handful of fried prawns on top and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe