- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 8-10 floury potatoes, peeled and halved if large
- 3-5 tbsp olive oil, duck or goose fat or beef dripping
- sea salt
- 1 heads garlic, broken into cloves but left unpeeled
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme or rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C / Gas 7.
2. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil with the salt. Drop in the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Drain off the water and shake the potatoes around in the dry saucepan with the lid on (this roughens the surface of the potatoes to help make them crispier when roasting in the oven).
3. Place a roasting tin on a high heat and drizzle in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil (or duck, goose or beef fat). Once really hot add the potatoes and toss them in the oil or fat, making sure they are well coated (adding the remaining oil or fat if not).Sprinkle with sea salt and roast in the oven for 4555 minutes.
4 Add the cloves of garlic after 1520 minutes, tossing them in the oil or fat. At this stage, if you think the potatoes are dark enough, turn the oven down to 200C/gas 6. Baste the potatoes occasionally and turn them over halfway through cooking.
5. Finally, sprinkle the thyme or rosemary over the potatoes 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Serve immediately or keep warm in a low oven (without covering or they will go soggy). Push the soft, sweet garlic cloves out of their skins and eat with the crispy potatoes.
Apdapted from Rachel Allen Home Cooking (Collins)
Rate This Recipe