- Serves: makes about 160g
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus setting time
- Effort: easy
- 150 g butter
- 2 blades mace
- pinches cayenne pepper
- pinches freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tins anchovy fillets, drained and mashed roughly
Tips and Suggestions
traditional gentleman's relish is still being made to a secret recipe first formulated in 1828 by John Osborn and is only licensed to be made by one company - Elsenham Quality Foods Ltd. Only the cooks & the product development team know the actual ingredients. The company refer to the secret ingredient as 'Ingredient X' and this is listed as 'herbs and spices' on the packaging.
1. Put the butter, mace, cayenne pepper and a little grated nutmeg into a medium-sized pan and melt over a gentle heat.
2. Add the anchovies and stir for a couple of minutes until they have melted, but don't let the mixture boil.
3. Fish out the blades of mace and pour the relish into a ramekin. Put in the fridge to set.
4. Serve spread thinly on hot slices of toast.
Rate This Recipe