- Serves: Makes 1 litre
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr steeping
- Effort: easy
- 2-3 cm ginger, finely grated (about 30-45g - this will make a fairly fiery brew), plus
- any residual juice
- 150 g white or brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juice only (alternatively use lime juice)
- carbonated mineral water
other optional ingredients
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- sprinkle cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tins cream of tartar, (some people argue that this makes the ginger beer more acidic and it gives a better mouth-feel)
1. Mix together the grated ginger, any residual ginger juices and the sugar in a bowl. Pour 200ml of hot (or boiling) water on top. If you wish you can add cinnamon, cloves, cayenne pepper or cream of tartar. Stir once, cover and leave to steep for at least an hour.
2. Stir the lemon juice and filter the liquid through a fine strainer into a litre bottle - a plastic bottle is safest. Top up with the carbonated mineral water to within 2cm of the top. Seal the bottle immediately and turn the bottle upside down and back a few times to mix.
3. Chill the ginger beer in the fridge and consume within 3 days.
Rate This Recipe