- Serves: Makes 450g
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g granulated sugar
- 300 ml water
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Butter or oil a tin measuring 30 x 10cm.
2. Place the sugar, water and vinegar into a deep heavy based saucepan, and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Bring the mixture to boiling point and then boil gently to a soft crack temperature, this will be 141°C on a jam thermometer.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and add the bicarbonate of soda. Stir carefully but thoroughly - the mixture will rise up and foam and will be very hot.
5. When almost set, mark out squares with a knife. This will make it a lot easier to break up when properly set.
6. Store in an airtight container between sheets of greaseproof paper in a dry place.
Rate This Recipe