- Serves: 15-20 buns
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 3 hours proving
- Effort: easy
- 500 g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 75 g caster sugar
- 7 g sachet dried yeast
- 300 ml tepid mixed milk and water
- 150 g sultanas
- zest of 2 oranges
- 80 g mixed peel
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75 g plain flour
For the glaze:
- 50 g sugar
- 50 ml water
Tips and Suggestions
To make the crosses for the buns, mix around 75g plain flour with enough water to make a smooth, thick paste. You can either make a piping bag out of parchment paper or use a piping bag with a plain nozzle to pipe the paste onto the buns to make them crossed.
1. Put the flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a bowl. Slowly add enough of the milk and water mix to achieve pliable dough. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 5 minutes, then put the dough back into the bowl and leave to rise for 1 hour.
2. Incorporate the sultanas, mixed peel, orange zest and cinnamon into the dough and leave to rise for 1 hour.
3. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Divide the dough into 75g pieces and roll each into a ball. Put them on a baking tray and leave to rest for 1 hour.
4. Set the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 8. Pipe the crosses onto the buns, then bake the buns for 25 minutes until golden brown. Combine the sugar and water together to make a syrup and brush this liberally all over the buns. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe