- Serves: Makes 1 medium loaf
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking and cooling
- Effort: easy
- 300 ml cold tea
- 4 tsp Irish whiskey
- 110 g sultanas
- 220 g currants or raisins
- 55 g chopped glacé cherries
- 55 g chopped mixed candied peel
- 200 g brown sugar
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- honey, for glazing (optional)
1. Place the cold tea and whiskey in a bowl. Add in the sultanas, currants, glace cherries and mixed peel. Cover and set aside to soak overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, self-raising flour, beaten egg, nutmeg and soaked fruit, with its soaking liquid until well-mixed.
4. Transfer the mixture to a well-oiled loaf tin.
5. Bake for 1 hour, 30 minutes until risen and set.
6. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in its tin, then turn out and cool on a wire rack. Glaze with honey if required.
7. Serve in slices with butter and store in an airtight tin.
Rate This Recipe