- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the couscous salad
- 250 g couscous
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 lemon, grated zest and juice only
- large bunch (50g) parsley, leaves finely chopped
- large bunch (50g) coriander, leaves finely chopped
For the avocado salad
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- handful mint, leaves only, finely chopped
- handful coriander, leaves only, finely chopped
For the pomegranate salad
- 1 large pomegranate, seeds only
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
For the lamb
- 2 lamb steaks, about 400g each, bone in
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- handful coriander leaves, to garnish (optional)
- 2 Arabic breads, or pitta bread, warmed, to serve
1. For the couscous salad: tip the couscous into a bowl and pour on 350ml boiling water. Cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes or until softened and the water has been absorbed. Add the olive oil, cumin, lemon zest and juice, parsley, coriander and salt to taste. Mix gently, cover and keep warm.
2. For the avocado salad: halve, peel and stone the avocados and cut into 1cm dice. Toss with the rest of the avocado salad ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, cover and chill until ready to serve.
3. For the pomegranate salad: tip half of the pomegranate seeds into a fine sieve set over a small saucepan. Use a spoon to rub them against the sieve, extracting the juice into the saucepan (you should have about 70ml).
4. Place the saucepan over a high heat and boil the juice until reduced in volume by half. Pour into a bowl, add the remaining pomegranate seeds and other salad ingredients and toss to combine. Set aside.
5. For the lamb: season the lamb steaks on both sides with salt and black pepper and run each with a little oil. Heat a barbecue, griddle pan or frying pan until hot then cook the steaks for about 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking.
6. Remove the lamb to a board and rest for 3-4 minutes then carve into slices. Stuff the lamb inside the warm bread, with a little coriander if using, and serve with the salads on the side.
Rate This Recipe