- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 10 mins cooling
- Effort: easy
- 225 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 150 ml water
- grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 160 g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 3 eggs, separated
- thick double cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm flan case or deep pie plate. Trim the edges, line with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake blind in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the paper and baking beans and return the pastry case to the oven for 5 minutes to dry the pastry out. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/gas 4.
5. Mix the cornflour with the water in a small saucepan. Add in the lemon zest and juice and bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the mixture thickens, then add in 50g of sugar.
6. Take off the heat and leave the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
7. Beat in the egg yolks, mixing well.
8. Pour the cornflour mixture into the pastry case.
9. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Whisk in 55g of caster sugar, then gently fold in the remaining sugar with a large spoon.
10. Pile the whisked egg white on top of the lemon filling. Sprinkle with a little caster sugar and bake for 10 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.
11. Serve warm or cold with thick double cream!
Rate This Recipe