- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 20 mins setting time
- Effort: medium
- 225 g plain flour
- 125 g butter, chilled and diced
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 400 g tin sweetened condensed milk
- juice of 4 limes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 8 tbsp caster sugar
1. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Using your fingertips rub in the diced butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Mix in the beaten egg with a round-bladed knife until the mixture forms into a dough. If needed, add a little cold water. Wrap in cling film and chill for half an hour before using.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line a greased 20 cm loose-bottomed fluted flan tin with the pastry. Prick the pastry base with a fork. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove flan case from oven and increase the temperature to 230°C/Gas 8.
3. Make the filling by whisking together the condensed milk, lime juice and egg yolks. Pour the lime mixture into the pastry case and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and then whisk in the caster sugar until the mixture is stiff. Top the lime base with the beaten egg whites, swirling with a palette knife to form peaks.
5. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes until the peaks begin to brown. Remove from the oven and leave for 20 minutes to set. Serve.
Rate This Recipe