- Serves: makes 24 squares
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: easy
For the base
- 225 g plain flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 225 g butter
- 100 g semolina
For the topping
- 175 g butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 x 397 g can condensed milk
- 200 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1. Set the oven to 160C/gas2. Lightly grease a 20cm x 33cm oblong/ Swiss roll tin.
2. Place all the ingredients for the base into a food processor and whizz together until they form a smooth dough (if preferred this can be done by hand in a bowl).
3. Press the mixture into the base of the Swiss roll tin and prick with a fork. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until golden and firm. Set aside to cool.
4. To make the topping, place the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted.
5. Bubble the mixture gently for five to eight minutes, stirring all the time until thick and fudge-like. Pour over the cold shortbread in an even layer. Leave to cool.
6. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
7. Pour the chocolate over the toffee and leave to set. Cut into small squares and store in an airtight tin.
Rate This Recipe