- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hr soaking
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg mussels
- 1 kg clams
- 12 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 75 ml white wine
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- lemon wedges, and country bread, to serve
1. Clean the mussels and clams by washing them in plenty of cold running water, scrubbing them well and pulling off any beards from the mussels.
2. Place the shellfish in a large bowl of cold salted water and leave for about 1 hour to remove any impurities.
3. Drain and wash the mussels and clams again thoroughly under cold running water. If any are opened, tap them lightly on a hard surface. If they don't close, discard them because they should not be eaten.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic and fry until softened, but not coloured.
5. Add the shellfish and wine to the pan. Season with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
6. Cover and cook on a high heat for about 1 minute, shaking the pan this will make the mussels and clams open. Continue cooking until virtually all the mussels and clams have opened any that dont open should be discarded.
7. Stir in the parsley and serve at once with lemon wedges and country bread to mop up the sauce.
Rate This Recipe