- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 1.75 g joint prime gammon
- 1 onion, peeled
- 1 carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 peppercorns
- 2 tbsp grain mustard
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Soak the gammon overnight in cold water.
2. Place the gammon in a large saucepan and cover with fresh cold water. Add in the onion, carrot, bay leaves and peppercorns.
3. Bring to the boil slowly, cover with a lid and simmer very gently for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Allow the gammon to cool in cooking liquid for 30-40 minutes.
5. Remove the gammon from the cooking liquid and using a sharp knife carefully remove the skin and some of the underlying fat. Cut a lattice pattern over the gammon and place it in a roasting tray.
6. Mix together the honey, mustard and freshly ground pepper in a small bowl and smear it over the gammon.
7. Bake the joint for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown and caramelised.
8. Serve hot or cold.
Rate This Recipe