- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 115 g butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 pieces of conger eel, each 225g
- flour, for dusting
- black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- small bunch of thyme
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tbsp Pernod, (or Pastis)
- 500-600ml normandy cider
- mustard mashed potato, made with coarse grain mustard and parsleyto serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
2. Melt the butter in a casserole dish. Add the onion and cook very gently, stirring often, until soft and translucent (around 5 minutes.)
3. Add the garlic and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile dust the eel with flour and season with salt and pepper. Add the eel to the casserole dish.
5. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick and thyme and stir to mix in.
6. Add the apples followed by the Pernod or Pastis and the cider.
7. Cover the casserole and bake for 6-8 minutes.
8. Reduce the oven temperature to 120ºC/gas 1/2 and cook in the oven for a further 35-40 minutes.
9. Return the casserole dish to the hob. Stir in the crème fraiche and bring to a simmer.
10. Serve the eel casserole with mustard mash.
Rate This Recipe