- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 3 lime leaves, sliced thinly lengthways
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
- ½ pineapples, peeled, cut into 3cm-thick slices, and cubed
- palm sugar, to taste
- 700 g large prawns, with tails intact
- handfuls Thai basil, (selasih)
- steamed Thai jasmine rice, to serve
For the paste
- 10 red chilli
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely sliced
- 1 cm piece galangal, peeled
- 3 coriander roots
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 4 candle nuts
- 10 shallots, trimmed
1. For the paste: put all the ingredients into a blender and blend (or use a pestle and mortar) until smooth.
2. Heat the oil and gently fry the finely ground paste for about 10 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Stir in the coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, pineapple and salt and palm sugar, to taste, and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the prawns and basil leaves, reserving a few for garnish, and simmer for another 2 minutes.
5. Serve with jasmine rice and garnish with reserved basil leaves.
Rate This Recipe