- Serves: 12
- Cook Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sponge
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 150 g caster sugar
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 large orange, zest and juice only
For the icing
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice only
- 175 g icing sugar
Tips and Suggestions
Cook's note: you can decorate the cake with little shredded wheat nests and mini eggs. For the nests melt 2 tablespoons of golden syrup and a knob of butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, then take off the heat. Crumble in 3 pieces of shredded wheat, mix well and mould into little nests. Allow to cool to maintain the shape, then fill each one with a couple of mini eggs.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
2. For the sponge: beat together the butter, caster sugar, flour and eggs until fluffy.
3. Stir in the orange zest and juice then spoon the mixture into a 23 cm round greased and lined cake tin and (or a 20cm x 20 cm square tin), level the top. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until risen and golden and it feels firm to the touch. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes, then take it out of the tin, peel off the paper and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
4. For the icing: beat the icing sugar, lemon zest (reserving some to decorate the cake) and juice together to make a smooth, runny icing. Using a palette knife, spread the icing over the top of the cake and let it drizzle down the sides. Leave to set. Scatter over the reserved lemon zest and decorate with Easter decorations.
Rate This Recipe