- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 750 g plum tomatoes
- 450 g puff pastry
- 100 g blue vinny cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- handfuls wild rocket
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthways and place them cut-side up in a lightly oiled, shallow roasting tin. Sprinkle over 11/2 teaspoons of Maldon salt and some black pepper and roast for 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 150°C/gas 2 and roast them for a further 11/4-11/2 hours until they have shrivelled in size but are still slightly juicy in the centre. Remove and set aside.
2. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C/gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 30 x 37.5 cm rectangle. Lift it onto a lightly greased baking sheet, prick here and there with a fork and bake blind for 18-20 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven, carefully turn it over and bake for a further 5 minutes.
3. Arrange the tomatoes haphazardly over the tart base, leaving a narrow border free around the edge. Crumble over the slices of Blue Vinny, sprinkle over the thyme leaves and drizzle over the olive oil. Return the tart to the oven for 5-6 minutes until the cheese has melted.
4. Remove the tart from the oven and scatter the rocket over the top. Cut it into 8 pieces, sprinkle with a little extra virgin olive oil and serve.
Rate This Recipe