- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus at least 1 hr marinating
- Effort: easy
- 2.7 kg pork spare ribs, unseparated
For the marinade:
- 5 cm ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 5 tbsp honey
- 120 ml hoi sin sauce
- 1 tsp chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine
1. First make the marinade. Mix together the ginger, garlic, honey, Hoisin sauce, 5-spice powder, soy sauce, brown sugar and rice wine in a large bowl.
2. Add the spare ribs, coating thoroughly, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
4. Drain the ribs, reserving the marinade. Place the ribs in a large roasting tray.
5. Roast the ribs in the top part of the oven for 40 minutes, basting now and then.
6. Once the ribs have roasted for 40 minutes, pour the reserved marinade into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and pour the marinade over the ribs.
7. Reduce the heat to 170°C/gas 3 and roast for 1 and a half to 2 hours, basting now and then, until the meat is tender.
8. Serve the spareribs warm from the oven with finger bowls of water and lots of napkins.
Rate This Recipe