- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 75 g sultanas
- 6 tbsp milk
- grappa, for soaking
- 375 ml double cream
- 2 vanilla pods
- 4 eggs
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 panettone
- butter, for spreading
1. Put the sultanas in a bowl and cover with grappa. Leave to soak while you make the custard.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan set over medium heat. Add the vanilla pods and bring just to the boil, taking care not to let it boil over.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl for about 3-4 minutes until thick and pale.
4. When the milk has boiled, remove the vanilla pod, and add the milk to the eggs, stirring continuously. Leave to cool completely, then cover and put in the fridge.
5. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
6. Using a serrated bread knife, remove the crust from the panettone. Cut into equal slices. Butter both sides, then cut each slice into four squares.
7. Distribute the squares equally between individual ramekins (you can use one big dish but the cooking time will increase). Sprinkle with the grappa-soaked sultanas.
8. Remove the custard from the fridge and pour into the ramekins until half-filled. Leave to sit for 5 minutes so that the mixture soaks into the bread. Then fill with the remaining custard.
9. Place the ramekins in a bain-marie or a roasting pan filled with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 15 minutes until set.
10. Remove the ramekins from the bain-marie to cool. Serve at room temperature rather than chilled.
Rate This Recipe